Blessings!

Posted: June 14th, 2018 | No Comments »

white sage seed packetcalifornia may have it figured out


fresh! mini!

Posted: June 14th, 2018 | No Comments »

fresh! mini! watermelon!


this even made dan g. chuckle

Posted: June 8th, 2018 | No Comments »

business insider / trump has a lookalikeplease click through, it is worth it


ps i made ross buy these for us

Posted: June 8th, 2018 | No Comments »

buffalo blue cheese cheese curls
WE DID NOT HATE THEM
(tho questionable brand name?)


us at chez panisse

Posted: June 8th, 2018 | No Comments »

dan at chez panisse, 95% happy me at chez panisse, a 100% happy

ordered lillet blanc, ate loads of buttery bread, a green goddess salad, split a pizzetta with potatoes and fontina with dan, ordered TWO desserts AND a glass of medeira. and i shall continue my produce and pastry and wine rampage through the upper bay area.


worth a read

Posted: June 4th, 2018 | No Comments »

interesting article by ta-nehisi coates, “i’m not black, i’m kanye,” if only for his dissection of fame (which seems like a true motherfucker).

also i’ll live and die by the beauty of airports — echoed in sasha chapin’s letter of recommendation: airport layovers:

Once you’ve made it to your gate, there is, for the moment, nothing substantial left to achieve. You are free.


real talk

Posted: June 4th, 2018 | No Comments »

straight up, i am the world’s worst bouncer. bad traits in a bouncer:

  • ambivalence
  • need to be liked
  • dislike of confrontation
  • high voice
  • few muscles
  • trepidatious
  • somewhat prohibitionist take on heavy drinking (newly acquired)

maybe if all i was doing was truly checking IDs (how it was sold to me), it would work, but also i have to monitor drunkenness and that is straight hellscape. last saturday was a doozy, the highlight being refusing an already wasted guy with no ID from entering and subsequently being yelled at by him. fun. i basically spend my entire shift getting more and more anxious till it’s over and i go home. v. cool. my #1 coping strategy is blaming the texas alcoholic beverage commission (“i am so sorry, it’s just the law”) and making everyone scared of getting DUIs (“the cops are out, so it would be a great idea to walk home”) (literally no one is scared of DUIs).

in boring book news, i kinda hated amy poehler’s book, yes please, which i checked out from the library as an antidote to between the world and me (which is awesome but a bit challenging to read while bouncing, where i do 98% of my reading; the remaining 2% in the five minutes before drifting off to sleep). amy poehler is awesome, but this book just did not bite my chain. in fact i felt like biting ITS chain — at the end, i was like, girl, why did you even write this book? it felt like a bunch of time-filling jovial frippery frop about the good life. which is fine? but if that’s the case, imma need A LOT of juicy SNL gossip to go with it. this review kind of sums it up.


dolester miles

Posted: May 31st, 2018 | No Comments »
Dolester Miles, who was named Outstanding Pastry Chef by the James Beard Foundation in May, has worked for more than 30 years at the Highlands Bar & Grill in Birmingham, Ala.CreditBob Miller for The New York Times

Dolester Miles, who was named Outstanding Pastry Chef by the James Beard Foundation in May, has worked for more than 30 years at the Highlands Bar & Grill in Birmingham, Ala. Credit: Bob Miller for The New York Times

loved this advice from pastry chef dolester miles, who just won outstanding pastry chef from the james beard foundation:

Sometimes, dessert is just dessert and a job well done is its own reward, Ms. Miles said.

“Just do hard work and keep reading books and keep learning,” she said. “That’s what I do every day because that’s my philosophy.”


solid name

Posted: May 30th, 2018 | No Comments »

radishes -- for you


old things about me

Posted: May 29th, 2018 | No Comments »
  • generally grumpy
  • would prefer to be seated, or better yet, lying down
  • like wilco
  • don’t want to listen to most people talk